Forum / General / Why do people not like the Clockwork Cult?
Login or Signup

Midnight0gamer
midnight0gamer
Love: 1
5 weeks
Why do people not like the Clockwork Cult?

I’m looking to gather information as to why people don’t like Clockwork Cult. I want your honest opinion and as much detail as possible. The more the better.

Jetra
AzlanonPC
Love: 8
5 weeks
i have a few ideas about it

i personally like clockcult, but from my 1000iq research (actually just sitting for 5 minutes), i remembered some reasons why people dont like clockcult:

-Onesided: clock supposedly always wins, as they say. in fact is just that clockies takes it more seriously and the crew just retardedly punches the place, instead of chemistry making grenades, mining actually making sonic jacks and obtaining wall piercing/area denial weaponry (hierophant club, stormstaff), science using teleporters and teleguns, and so on.

-Needs teamwork: a single cultist cant defend ark, neither a single crewmember can destroy it (unless its absurdly robust), and this problem has to do with the playerbase, since they are usually not willing to help each other (as an admin, i can tell we always get atleast 2 or more tickets about teamkilling either by cultist side or crew side, mostly cultist)

-Unknown: most people dont know what even is clockcult, or how to even engage as cult/crew, besides "KILL BAD MAN", wich usually empowers the point above, and the fact that clock wins by survival of time, ends up on them winning, wich leads to the onesided point too.

-Long rounds: clock cult rounds are ALWAYS 1 hour or so, 30 for preparation or so, 30 for activation, and 10 for survival ( i dont know the actual numbers dont ree at moi), and this playerbase likes short rounds.

Zeskorion
Love: 9
5 weeks
My take on it

Clock cultists are worse than normal cultists conversion wise. Once they stun you, you are fucked even if you have an implant, their stuns are ranged and you cant see clockwork slabs in hand (so converting as clock cult is super easy)

If you are mindshielded, you are dead or stuck in rebe-there is no way to escape whatsoever.

No one knows how to build shit and no one has the patience to fortify. This game is not strong in the fortress kind of game, so attacking a fortified position (while heavily outnumbered due to aformentioned easy conversion) is hellish

Clockwork cultists can teleport in fucking anywhere, no runes or prep which is busted in its own right. They should get something closer to wizard telescrolls and normal camera consoles instead.

If you die to unrelated shit on cock cult, you're fucked. I like long rounds when i have something to do, but being dead in them sucks. This is an unrelated issue though (IMO, we should increase the amount and frequency of midround ghost roles, even if they arent antagonists. Maybe make more ghost spawner ruins)

Not to mention, clock cult is boring and unintuitive for all sides involved. it's just a novelty

AsciiSquid
AsciiSquid
Love: 31
5 weeks
Opinion on Clockcult

Though I love the idea and style of this antagonist it's a really broken gamemode.

• It's wayyyyyy too favored to the cult with all the benefits Zeskorion pointed out. Which is only made worse since we're a new player server so antags have the advantage that most players won't know how to counter them.

• Speaking of new players clock cult is very different from most gamemodes which leads to the cult often having no idea how to play, leaving newbies stuck on Reebe until they get bored and start fighting eachother.

• Lastly, it's bugged as hell. The server is likely to crash before rounded and if the cult declares war early all the cultists sprites turn invisible, ruining the round.

Yodeler
Supercatbot
Love: 0
5 weeks
My opinion

I like clockcult, especially the part where you go to another dimension. I played chem almost exclusively at the time it was on rotation at tg and liked that making a ton of medicine was useful.

One problem I've seen is that clock cult tends to either utterly crush the crew or get crushed themselves.

While this may have changed, I remember the meta being to place a bunch of buildings that had a chance to convert anyone within their radius, without you even being able to see them. With a bunch of these placed inside a wall, a bunch of crew would be converted before they had a chance to get through a second barrier.

Neri
Kevak
5 weeks
Clockcult as a gamemode has been butchered.

Clockcult used to be a good gamemode. It used to be a basebuilding oriented stationside cult in the vein of bloodcult but more focused on static bases/trapping that gen resources and make converts and less on high mobility teleport rune grids/heavy martial frontloading like bloodcult.

It is now an unholy hybrid of Abductors and Nuke Ops with a side of the worst parts of Gangs and new-bloodcult on their own autism fort zlevel.

On top of that, it's an obtuse team antag with obtuse mechanics, and unlike abductors, where coordination and communication is easy, that isn't so for clockcult. Too much is happening at once for any reasonable tutorials to occur and there's very little to explain basics to new cultists when they're first converted. Couple this with the mandatory time crunch and you've got yourself a recipe for a clusterfuck induced by 'too many chefs in the kitchen.'

It's initial state was great. It's current state is trash. TG's coderbus is to blame.

Hawkefire
5 weeks
Opinion on Clockcult

Biggest reason why I dislike the clockcult is because of the sheer amount of lag it causes for the server. Seriously, any time the clockcult starts actually doing its thing, the ping rockets up to 200 minimum (whereas normally my ping is at a nice 50-70).

Other reason being that it heavily favors the culties (as pointed out by Zeskorion).

Primary thing that I do like about the cult is its art style, which I think is fairly cool.

Catmanpop
Catmanpop
Love: 10
4 weeks
I just love steampunk

And blood cult is broken for me, cant do the message thing because its it's missing

RiCkUrT
ricksterakarick
Love: 14
3 weeks
It just sucks
bruh_moments531
Love: 13
3 weeks
They are clock cult not blood cult
Tifone
Love: 3
3 weeks
Clock cult can work but the stun must be ultranerfed

Literally half a second from 2 tiles away someone clicks on you and you're out of the game. You cant't talk, they drag you to maint, they bring you to ark, if you're sec officer or another mindshielded they can't convert you and they kill you, you can't be retrived, enjoy ghosting for half an hour waiting for the goddamn assualt. This isn't healthy gameplay. At least the blood cult if you can't be converted generally turns you into a costruct. Imho this cult should be about covertly cogging apcs and capturing unprepared crewmembers while preparing for a big final showdown, not one click killing security and mindshielded staff. My humble opinion for a fix would be for the stun to not work on mindshielded. Station gets a way to defend itself, you get more people in the end for the final siege and an epic confontation.

Murdercat
Acer202
3 weeks
Good point

Why would a cultist's babbling stun someone with a mindshield in the first place? Honestly, mindshields are pretty useless when all they do is guarantee your death with the blood cult and only slightly inconvenience the clock cult. I would welcome some more beneficial effects from mindshield implants with open arms. Perhaps give a buffed implant some trial runs with a few cult rounds?

Login or Signup to reply