Rosebrandon0
Rosebrandon0
7 weeks
Are Airlock Electronics unbalanced?

As they stand now, Airlock Electronics can be used to set the access requirements of any airlock they would be placed in to whatever the user wishes. I see an unbalancing issue here in a sense that Airlock Electronics are easily accessible to the entire crew.

This means that Assisty McAssistantface the assistant can grab the set of airlock electronics from Auxiliary Tool Storage and construct himself a Captain access door, creating a space that is impassible to most of the station's crew. Alternatively, Assisty McAssistantface can crowbar the electronics out of any airlock on the station and adjust it's access using nothing but tools that are easily obtainable on the station.

So my question for the public is this, are airlock electronics unbalanced? Should the ability to set the access level of an airlock be locked behind an access level, or is the convince of anyone setting the access level worth the great potential for greytiding pranks?

If you feel airlock electronics are unbalanced, what are your suggestions for more secure methods? I imagine a well-balanced system would be similar to the the ID console. Place the airlock electronics inside the console along with an authorizing ID to manipulate the access level of the airlock electronic.

debonaircorsiar
debonaircorsiar
7 weeks
>crowbar out electronics

its alot harder to do that then you make it out. you have to cut all the wires but the bolt wire on the airlock, weld it shut, then crowbar it out breaking the electronics in the process.

Also your first and second paragraphs are contradictory: saying theyre too accessable to thr crew and that people can set up impassable doors yet also saying that they can be deconstructed without the need for their access effectively solving your first problem with the second.

also you can just break and airlock, just keep throwing something at it until it breaks

Eraxi
Eraxi
7 weeks
Fake walls

There is your better assistant doorways

Zanos
LordGrievous
7 weeks
Tldr: No

With the tools you need to properly replace airlock electronics, you can just hack a door so it's very difficult to pass. Drop bolts, disable power, weld it shut. Trivially done by cutting all the wires anyway.

I suppose airlock electronics have the benefit of being confusing as fuck, since very few people will likely figure out that you made a maint door with surgery access or something, and nobody would expect someone to go through the effort.

Lagomorphica
Lagomorphica
5 weeks
or just

use an RCD

Login or Signup to reply